|UAW Local 2488|
The drive to organize a Union at the Diamond Star Motors facility, under the UAW banner, began in late 1988. The success of the organizing drive was secured when the company recognized a union card signing drive in December 1988. The Local Union Charter was officially signed on April 10,1989 and UAW Local 2488 was born as an amalgamated Local Union. A question that is often asked is how does a Local Union get its number? Our Local’s number came from two different numbers. First, the number 24 comes from the manufacturing code (H-24) representing the first car model made at the facility; the 88 is from the year the organizing drive stated, 24-88.
The first contract ratified between the UAW and Diamond-Star Motors began on August 27, 1989.
Currently we have nearly 1000 active Union members employed at MMNA and around 600 retirees included in our membership.
The facility originally started operations as a fifty-fifty joint venture between Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) of Japan and the Chrysler Corporation as Diamond-Star Motors. In the 90s Mitsubishi Motors Corporation bought the other 50% of the operations from Chrysler Corporation, and the facility currently operates under the MMNA banner Mitsubsihi Motors North America.
The plans for the new joint ventures new auto manufacturing plant were announced on October 7,1985. It wasn’t long before production of the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Plymouth Laser began on September 1, 1988. Over the years not only has the name of the facility changed to Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA), but so has the product line. Models such as the Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger, Eagle Talon, the Eagle Summit, the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder (convertible), Endeavor, Galant, and Mirage have been made at the plant. Today’s model is the Outlander Sport.